• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:00 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Fbx export empty in FBX2EDF (any testing file?)

Started by davidpilny, June 09, 2020, 12:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidpilny

June 09, 2020, 12:23:38 AM Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:29:22 AM by davidpilny
Hi, I created a simple fbx track mesh, but the FBX2EDF always export empty files. Could anyone check my fbx file and hint what might be wrong?

I think the problem is the FBX2EDF just does not export anything, because my .trp has only 112b. After adding 3 segments in tracked and saving, the size went up to 404b. So it seems nothing is getting exported out of the .fbx but I dont know why. In both tracked and mapped I just see nothing.

I have attached all the files with max model if anyone has a chance to look at it. In the model I only have Editable Poly. Should I see also some other objects like Spline or Surface? There is only one object named TRKASPH_object1.

Or if anyone would be able to some .fbx or .max file which is working for them I would be happy for that so I can test it.

LXS77

Hi, please check the settings when exporting to FBX format (namely, orientation and scale). In the attached FBX the track has Z-axis up instead of Y-axis and is in cm instead of meters. That's the reason why your TRP file is so small and you can't see anything in TrackED.

davidpilny

Thank you for the hints. I tried exporting with the settings you said (see printscreen) but it seems nothing changed. What program do you use to check the .fbx variables (orientation etc.)?

LXS77

June 10, 2020, 12:49:25 AM #3 Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:54:27 AM by LXS77
I checked in 3dSimED and Blender. Though Blender seems to be picking the scale OK, both editors show your track turned vertically. I've made some adjustments to FBX (ZIP file attached), so the TRP will look healthier now. Just try to keep your track closer to the ground with the origin in the center of the track area.

davidpilny

Awesome, thanks, now I understand how the orientation works and how it should be correct. However even with your .fbx file after converting via FBX2EDF I dont see anything in the tracked. Does it work for you?

LXS77

You're welcome! And yes, TRP is working fine, just zoom out in Track Editor and move up a bit and you should see the track:
You cannot see attachments on this board.

davidpilny

June 11, 2020, 05:46:38 PM #6 Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:49:48 PM by davidpilny
That is so weird :D I simply cannot see anything no matter what I do. Is it possible that the exporter did not do it correctly for me? I am sending my .trp just to make sure we are looking at the same one.

It seems to me that the exporter just took the template and saved it with the new name, as its the same size (112kb) but did not really export anything.

LXS77

Hi, the attached TRP is just 112 bytes, it's empty. Which FBX file have you used? The one I sent you or your own? The TRP file created from amended_fbx_ascii.fbx takes 279KB (attached for your reference).

BTW, try to choose ASCII mode in 'FBX File Format' menu when exporting from 3ds Max, not all binary FBX versions work well with the converter...

davidpilny

June 12, 2020, 04:16:38 PM #8 Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:22:09 PM by davidpilny
Oh, I found the issue!

Your .trp works fine, I can see the track. I used your amended .fbx to test converting.

It seems that if the path for loading the file contains special characters or possibly space, it is not loaded correctly. You can see in the attachment the wrong path which was not working, and then screenshot when I exported correctly.

Thanks for help!

LXS77

You are welcome!

As for special characters, it's an interesting observation... Normally spaces in file/folder names are fine, so yeah, these characters must be causing the issue in your case. Anyway, glad it's all working for you now!

P.S.  Sorry for being pedantic, but in fbx2edf.png the converter didn't create a working TRP file for you. According to the log, a Mesh Type EDF was created :), but again - if it's working now, it's all good.

davidpilny

I see, probably I made a wrong print screen.

If anybody finds this helpful, I attach the most simple .trp I got working with the KRP. I downloaded StyriaKarting track and replaced StyriaKarting.map with my empty .map and StyriaKarting.trp with my generated .trp and I was able to load it just fine.

I only needed to generate the center line and thats it. When I go out of the track I fall into nothingness, but it works and I can drive it :)

Thanks a lot for help, now I can start with improvements.

LXS77