• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 06:42:11 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

What data to make an excellent replica of a track

Started by kill_em_all, May 06, 2013, 02:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kill_em_all

Hello everybody,

If (hypothetically) I would be able to get access to a local track to collect the necessary data to build an accurate replica of the track, what and how exactly would that be? Does somebody have experience with that?

Pictures of track surface( tarmac, curbs, grass) environment(surroundings and buildings), etc? How should those pics be taken to be most useful? Can they be used for texturing?

On kart video would be needed too?

So, I am not a track builder, but I would be willing to try to get the information needed. Somebody else would have to create it.  ::)

It is a lovely new track, following CIK-FIA regulations, it has a nice high speed parabolic turn with inclination. (track shape attached)

LauZzZn

you need loads of pictures just make pictures of everything. then you need exact height drawings and messurements of things like for ex. kerbs. for me are videos not very good i prefer many pictures that makes everything easier for me. and when you want to use a picture for a texture then you have to make the picture for example at a kerb from the top.
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

kill_em_all

Makes sense all of what you're saying.  So, is the track shape appealing at all to invest your(or any track developers) time for it, or unless it's famous, shouldn't bother.