• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Kart Simulator Hardware - Cockpit Setups

Started by SimRacer, June 21, 2011, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimRacer

March 24, 2013, 05:57:33 PM #45 Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:59:31 PM by SimRacer
Hi Guys,

Sorry about not posting in a while. As with all these projects, work that actually pays the bills has taken over and I have not had a lot of time to work on it. I sold my other motion rig so I really want to finish this project so I can at least have one sim setup to use.

I recently setup a new workbench so I will finish of the project in the coming months. I also have all the parts now and it's just a case of making up the mounting system for the G25 motor, a free floating clutch perch, paint and making some stands.

Cheers.

Eslotes

A smooth race never made a skillful racer.

DPKarter#43

SimRacer

January 06, 2014, 01:32:02 AM #50 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:50:15 AM by SimRacer
G'day, guys.  I know I'm slow but I made a little progress with the G27 FF motor mounting on the weekend.  The footwell is mounted in and the hole drilled for the steering shaft to pass through.  The G27 FF motor will be mounted upside down (underneath footwell) to make the job of building a mount easier.  The mount itself should be done by the weekend all going well, so I should be able to post a video of it plugged into my laptop and referencing itself.  Once that is done, I will consider adding a linear bearing to the system to take up some of the load of the steering shaft from the G27 motor.

I decided not to go with the gyro style cable system for the clutch.  There is not enough clearance for the clutch lever and the shifter during the 720 deg rotation of the wheel, so I need to come up with a static mount for the clutch lever.  Not as realistic but a necessity.

One thing I need feedback on is the feedback felt from engaging gears on the shifter lever, as I need to purchase/build a switch system.  I have tried to watch as many videos on youtube as I can to take a guess, so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Another idea I have been playing with is adding an airbox with an ultrasonic sensor inside to pickup a hand placed across it, now that this feature is in the game. Thoughts?

I'm dedicating myself to finishing this soon, then I will be trying to sell it as I need the space in my house.  If you are in Australia and interested, I will sell it any any stage of completion.

Things left to finish:
- Mount steering shaft linear bearing (optional)
- Create static mount for clutch lever
- Choose gear switching system
- Mount gear switch system
- Mount clutch G27 actuator
- Build stands with castors
- Attach obutto triple screen stand system (optional)
- Clean up frame
- Paint/Powder coat frame

SimRacer

Had another idea. To automate the "tuck" movement, an ultrasonic sensor could be mounted behind the seat pointing at the driver. When the driver tucks his head and the beam is broken it activates the tuck input.  I can implement this stuff in PIC C and share the code for others if you are planning to build your own kart hardware setups.

Piers Prior

The world is your lobster

SimRacer

January 09, 2014, 06:35:36 PM #54 Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:18:24 PM by SimRacer
Made a little bit of progress tonight.  Fabricated the bracket for the G27 motor.  Unfortunately I made a mistake welding it to the kart chassis, causing the steering shaft angle to be incorrect.  I will grind it off tomorrow afternoon, remount it correctly and then upload some pictures.  Should be able to plug in the G27 and watch it calibrate itself.  Getting very close to actually being able to give it a trial run :D

SimRacer

January 10, 2014, 11:50:33 AM #55 Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:05:31 PM by SimRacer
Successfully mounted and tested :D

SimRacer

January 13, 2014, 01:28:10 AM #56 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:50:38 PM by SimRacer
Clutch actuator now mounted.

Things left to finish:
- Create G27 FF motor mount
- Mount steering shaft linear bearing
- Create static mount for clutch lever
- Choose gear switching system
- Mount gear switch system
- Mount clutch G27 actuator
- Mount brake bias adjuster rotary encoder
- Build stands with castors
- Attach obutto triple screen stand system (optional)
- Clean up frame
- Paint/Powder coat frame

Bayley Bell

hellracer11

I like the way you setup the pedals. Do you have any idea on how to do that with those cheap thrustmaster pedals that come with the 458 italia because I have those and I'm planning on doing a very similar project.

SimRacer

Quote from: hellracer11 on February 05, 2014, 09:03:24 PM
I like the way you setup the pedals. Do you have any idea on how to do that with those cheap thrustmaster pedals that come with the 458 italia because I have those and I'm planning on doing a very similar project.

No idea. I have not pulled apart a set of those pedals before. Sorry I can't help.  Good luck with your project, and make sure you post photos!